UEPO Emerging and sustainable housing in Madrid
Emerging Housing Contest
Ibero-American Architecture Biennial
Architecture, urbanism, sustainability, atomized housing, domestic spaces
The forms of temporary and / or circular mobility propose a global conceptual framework to determine the different forms of mobility that affect urban dynamics, representing: residential spaces and the other components of the living spaces of individuals and their families that are related to the exercise of economic and social activities; and the main movements (the mobility networks) between the different constituent places of the residential, economic and social spaces, as well as those that translate a displacement or a change of said spaces.
In this sense, we have wanted to develop a series of categories based on the explosion of the traditional domestic model so that we can understand its use in a fragmented way. From the monitoring of various mobile housing systems we have obtained data on the daily migratory flows of some inhabitants of Madrid, including ours.
The new realities are first visualized conceptually, the society of tuning, the sale of parts and prepared and customized computers, cars, clothes, are also a contemporary training model that we have taken into account.
The project focuses on the implementation system of the base residence. For its development, we have assumed some assumptions without which our domestic proposal would be practically utopian.
The first is based on the assumption of the base residence of each individual, residences of all kinds, minimums, shared rooms, parental residences ... this base residence in most cases is located on a periphery, so it is a bedroom dwelling. The model of semi-independence on the part of young people in our country is also one of the assumptions of our project.
We therefore assume the established domestic model, and we are not going to eliminate it, but to evolve it according to the models of contemporary life.
We want to start opening new avenues for debate on models of occupation of the current city, new models of residence and / or semi-residence, which also take into account the residual spaces of the city, interstitial soils, uninhabitable nodes in the traditional model, soils cheap that would otherwise have no way of being activated.
These units, which we have called “ UEPO ” ( official protection spatial units ) respond to each of the models of domestic use, thus defining the types:
UEPO of development of activities
UEPO of social relationship
UEPO of free spaces
Storage UEPO or "MEMORY"
These units will have specific management according to their uses, they can be single or plural income, one by one the programs of the UEPOS are:
- Storage UEPO or “MEMORY” : in our consumption model, the storage of physical belongings becomes one of the main ballasts for the processes of migratory and pendular movements. The use of the base residence as a residence-warehouse begins to expand, for this reason we propose minimum storage units in their most efficient and economical geometric form, the hexagons. In the basement of the building we incorporate some recycling containers for belongings and belongings, with spaces for their recycling and repair, so consumption is balanced, on the one hand storage, and on the other the reuse of expired objects or that we want to disappear of our memory.
- UEPO of social relationship : with this typology we try to solve aspects of social problems related to leisure. On the one hand, the lack of spaces for social relations suitable for certain situations and social groups, outside the circuits of bars and discos, for which we propose this type of recreational use and domestic relations. The management of these spaces can be multi-rentals for a group of friends, groups, etc. The implantation will be in places such as road junctions and residual spaces, cheap areas where noise does not disturb other living spaces. The “lanterns” look is a metaphor for the concept of partying on the roads of Madrid.
- UEPO of development of activities : In this typology the concept of private space has a diffuse limit, let's say that more than a multi-rental it is a participation “subscription”. Often the areas of development of activities are developed alone, in garages, rooms, often with space problems. We think that the activity space should not be decomposed, but rather it should be a qualified space for the production of synergies that enrich all activities, and are complemented by the different disciplines with which they coexist.
- Wet UEPO : the wet areas of traditional housing become a typology of relationship with water, enjoyment and use, rest areas that reuse water and make responsible and sustainable use, purifying gray water for irrigation and reactivating thus, forgotten riverbank areas and aquifer pockets so common in our region. On land close to residential areas. Besides being a space where you can enjoy plants, in a humid climate, like a “domestic greenhouse”.
- UEPO of rest : these are units of relaxation and rest where you can have moments of tranquility, take advantage of the hours of rest and naps. These modules are framed in free public areas such as parks and green spaces in commercial areas close to work centers.
- UEPO of free spaces : light structures recycled from construction pallets that are installed on the roofs that are accessed through the common areas of the building and whose rent, at a minimum, provides benefits for the neighborhood communities themselves. These spaces are private solariums within the city for those users who lack terraces in their base residence and want to have a private area of free space in their daily or weekly domestic space.
Manuel Álvarez -Monteserín